Every third-country national (i.e. a national from a country which is not an EU Member State or a country treated as such - Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) requires an authorisation to stay in the form of a residence and work permit.
Conditions of residence for third-country workers in Luxembourg
A third-country national who wishes to come to Luxembourg to work for a period of more than 3 months, must follow a two-steps procedure:
Step 1: before entering the country:
- submit an application for a temporary authorisation to stay to the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of Luxembourg;
- be in possession of a valid passport;
- for persons subject to visa requirements in order to enter Luxembourg: request a type D visa after having obtained the temporary authorisation to stay;
Step 2: after entering the country:
- make a declaration of arrival in your municipality in Luxembourg;
- undergo a medical check;
- then submit an application for a residence permit for third-country national employees.
Attention: When applying for the authorisation to stay in Luxembourg, you must be in possession of a job offer from a Luxembourg employer, who has previously obtained an authorization certificate to hire a third-country national for a specific job.
Salaried work for third-country highly qualified workers (EU Blue Card)
Highly qualified workers are not subject to the obligation of a labour market test. That means that the future employer has to declare the vacant position to the National Employment Agency (ADEM), but does not need to apply for a certificate before hiring a worker from a third-country.
The employer must sign an employment contract with the future employee. The employment contract must have a duration of at least one year and offer a certain minimum level of remuneration.
Third-country nationals working under the highly qualified profile may, under certain conditions, benefit from a tax deduction for expenses related to their setup in Luxembourg.
Please look at the Luxembourg administrative portal for more information on the recruitment procedures for third-country nationals.